This may seem like a silly question to ask, but unless you are a bridesmaid or groomsman (grooms-women and bridesmen are also included in this) you probably aren’t exactly sure what the expectations are for dressing up for the wedding! If you’re a guest or a parent of the couple getting married, then here are some easy-to-follow etiquette rules for being respectful and well-dressed for the big day!
Mother of the Bride
- Don’t wear shades of white or cream as it could distract from the bride on her special day.
- The color black can be tricky as it suggests “mourning” and is associated with funerals. It can be more common at a formal, black-tie wedding, though.
- The mother of the bride should not match the bridesmaids in color, or dress style, but should wear a color that compliments the wedding color scheme.
The Mother of the Groom
- Should follow the same guidelines as the mother of the bride, but choose a dress that is different in style and color than the mother of the bride.
General Wedding Guest
- Look to the invitation for information on the formality of the wedding
- Is it in the evening? Afternoon?
- Is it outdoor? Indoor? Beach?
- Is it a church wedding, or does it take place at a resort or hotel?
- Does it specify formality directly on the invitation?
These clues will help you to determine whether you should wear a long dress/pants suit, a tea dress, or if it is a casual wedding where you can come as you are!
- Don’t wear white or other distracting colors like bright red.
While these etiquette tips are meant to help you be a respectful wedding guest, it’s always best to heed what the bride would like! If the couple would prefer an all-white wedding party, then happily oblige. There is nothing wrong with stepping out of tradition to enjoy the beautiful joining of two families into one!
Satin and Lace Bridal Boutique is a high-end bridal boutique located in Riverview, FL. We offer a variety of dresses across five designer collections that are priced between $1,200 and $2,500. To book your appointment in a private suite, click here.